Monday, December 28, 2009

Hippie Coffee Can Bread


This entry really dates me. I haven't made it for a long while but I remember it is pretty good. If I made it today I'd probably use loaf pans mainly because it is so hard to find a suitable coffee can. The recipe card mentions that it is from the New Mexico Commune.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 37 minutes (the time might need to be adjusted using loaf pans).

1/2 cup warm water (warmer than luke)
1 large can condensed milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ginger
2 Tblsp. oil
2 Tblsp. sugar
4 c flour (2 white - 2 whole wheat)
1 pkg dry yeast

In bowl mix water, yeast, sugar, & ginger - add oil & milk. Gradually add flour & stir & stir & stir - (Bob will have to help). Fill can 1/2 full cover with towel in warm place & let rise for 1 hr. (Should be above can about 1 in.) Grease cans well - very important - take out of can immediately & cool.

No comments: