Monday, October 15, 2007

The Gym

I've started going to the gym, this will be my third week. Last Friday and today I worked with a personal trainer just to get a good start with the weights and other equipment. So far I feel great! I can't say I love it but I think it is important to keep the muscles toned. Probably the worse part is some of the shows to which they keep the televisions tuned. I tend to go in the morning and the main show seems to be The Regis and Kelly Show, I don't watch much TV and if this is an example of the programming I'm obviously not missing much. But this morning they interviewed Jessica Seinfeld, she was talking about her new cookbook -- "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food." The recipe she prepared was: Brownies (with Carrot & Spinach), (I was never been a picky eater so find it hard to imagine that children need to be enticed to eat good food) – anyway this recipe sounded so good I came home from the gym and baked them and they are GOOD! The recipe:

Jessica Seinfeld's Brownies (with Carrot & Spinach)

INGREDIENTS
3 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 c. carrot puree
1/2 c. spinach puree
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp. trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
3/4 c. oat flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8x8-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Melt 3 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame.

In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, carrot puree, spinach puree, firmly packed brown sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tbsp. trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread, and 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.

Whisk in 2 large egg whites. Stir in oat flour, baking powder and salt with a wooden spoon.

Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars. Sprinkle with sifted powder sugar [or not].

No comments: