Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Food ...

I’m not really fixated on food but with the weather getting cooler and the lack of humidity I’ve been in the mood to cook (maybe I should say bake, when it is hot and humid I hate to use the oven). It will be such a joy to return to Montana the weather is more to my liking plus when I return I’ll have a completely redesigned kitchen – yippee!

I found some fresh blueberries (I was going to use frozen even though the recipe warns not too but then I found some fresh). These turned out great and they were a nice breakfast treat.

Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

Makes 8 scones
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Blueberry Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the blueberries
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut in chunks
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup fresh blueberries (avoid using frozen blueberries because the color bleeds into the dough and spoils the look of the scones)

Lemon Glaze

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, shifted
Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter

Wash, drain and dry the blueberries; roll blueberries in flour to coat, this will help prevent the fruit from sinking to the bottom of the scone when baked.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; mix thoroughly. Cut in butter using 2 forks or a pastry blender. The butter pieces should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs. Add blueberries and toss to mix.

Slowly pour the heavy cream into the dry ingredient. Mix just to incorporate, do no overwork the dough.

On lightly floured board, shape the dough into an 8-inch round. Cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until brown. Cool before applying lemon glaze.

No comments: