There really is something about cooler weather, the meals I cook are much different. Last night's dinner -- I really enjoy this dish and the leftovers are great, the number of servings is four, these are good size servings and meant to be the main dish -- if you serve this as the vegetable course you can probably count on six (6) servings.
MOOSEWOOD Cookbook: CAULIFLOWER CHEESE PIE
Yield: 4 servings
Butter (for greasing pan) [I use Olive oil spray]
2 cups grated raw potato
1/4 cup grated onion
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. salt
1 tbl. flour
Olive oil (for brushing the potatoes)
1 tbl. olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chop
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme (I don't use this)
1 medium cauliflower, coarsely chopped (I don't chop, I just break the cauliflower into small flowerets)
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup milk
Paprika (for sprinkling)
1. Set the oven at 400F. Use butter to grease a shallow 9 inch baking dish
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the grated potato, onion, egg, salt, and flour. Transfer the mixture to the buttered pan and pat it down with a rubber spatula (or lightly floured fingers)
3. Set the pan in the hot oven and bake for 30 minutes. Brush the crust lightly with olive oil, return the pan to the oven, and bake for 10 minutes more. Set the crust aside
4. Turn the oven temperature down to 350F
1. In a saute pan, heat the olive oil until it is hot. Add the onion, garlic, salt pepper, basil and thyme. Saute over medium heat for 8 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Stir in the cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes more.
2. Spread half of the cheese on the potato crust. Spoon the sauteed vegetables on top, then sprinkle those with the remaining cheese
3. In a small bowl beat together the eggs and milk, and pour this over the vegetables. Sprinkle with paprika and transfer to the oven
4. Bake the cauliflower for 35 minutes or until the custard is set and the top is browned. Serve at once with a salad.
Our puppy -- he had his routine vet appointment yesterday (routine for him, he has to go every 6 weeks), well yesterday they told us he was improving and he doesn't have to return except for routine care -- vaccines, etc. and will only need the chest radiographs once a year unless he should get sick or start coughing. This news is great and really makes me happy!